When you hear the word Bomboloni volcano, you expect that this article will go over a volcano called Bomboloni, however, you might be surprised to know that this is a dish, a form of the doughnut. In this article, we will be going over what is Bombaloni a volcano, its history, and how to prepare it.
Bomboloni volcano, Its History
Bomboloni volcano is a historic dish that goes back all the way to the 17th century, and it originates from Tuscany, Italy, hence the name Bombolini. The dish was famous across Italy around that time and recently became common in both Canada and the United States.
What is Bombolini a Volcano?
This volcano-like doughnut is a one-of-a-kind dish, which is filled with oozy jams, custards, or jellies. The shape is a normally rounded doughnut and a lot of stuffing. Once you bite into the doughnut, it will make an eruption of jelly, hence the name, volcano Bombolini.
So to be able to make that dish you will have to follow a recipe which we will go over in this article.
Recipe for a Bombolini Volcano Doughnut
To make this dish, you really need to follow a few steps with a few ingredients.
For the volcano Bomboloni dough, you will need:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of room-temperature butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 ¼ teaspoon yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- Sunflower oil
- 2-3 tablespoon caster sugar or confectioners sugar
For the volcano Bomboloni Filling:
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Lemon zest
The following steps are to prepare the Bomboloni volcano dough.
- Mix both types of flour in the same quantity in 1 bowl.
- Add your 2 ¼ tablespoons of yeast, and mix it with half a cup of sugar.
- Add the salt and vanilla paste to the mixture.
- Add 3 eggs and 6 tablespoons of butter with the same mixture as well as ½ a cup of lukewarm milk to make your dough.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes. It will rise and be soft after that time.
- Cut the dough into small round pieces, and add your pastry cream to it. (We will be going over the cream process in the next paragraph)
How to make Bombollini doughnut filling.
- Mix the egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest, cornstarch, and sugar into a big bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the milk in a saucepan on high heat and wait for a minute for the contents to heat up.
- Add the hot milk to the egg mixture and keep whisking so that the eggs don’t cook in the hot milk, and avoid lumps.
- Bring back the mixture into the same pan and stir for 10 minutes on low heat to get a creamy consistency.
- Now you can see your sauce is very creamy, and you can use it as the Bomobillini volcano filling.
Nutrition facts in Bomboloni Volcano
Making the Italian doughnut is not as hard as it may look, all you need is a few ingredients and some utensils.
Try it at home today with your family and friends, on occasions like Christmas, easter, or even on a regular day, the Bombollini doughnut is too delicious to have a specific day for.